Thursday, March 1, 2007

Lesson 7: Podcasting!!

Yeah.. Its the term break... But why am I still so busy?? Haha..

Okay... Jokes a side.. We had a very interesting seminar last Thursday on something I have been reading on the internet and hearing from people yet I still do not really know what it is about.. Ha.. That is Podcasting!!

So What is Podcasting or Podcast??

Think how a desktop aggregator works. You subscribe to a set of feeds, and then can easily view the new stuff from all of the feeds together, or each feed separately.

Podcasting works the same way, with one exception. Instead of reading the new content on a computer screen, you listen to the new content on an iPod or iPod-like device.Think of your iPod as having a set of subscriptions that are checked regularly for updates. Today there are a limited number of programs available this way. The format used is RSS 2.0 with enclosures.

In the future, radio shows like All Things Considered and Rush Limbaugh will be available in this manner, and perhaps other syndication formats will support enclosures.

For a quick sample of the latest podcasts, check out http://audio.weblogs.com/.

We move on to discuss all about podcasting with Prof Gilbert explaining to us what is podcasting and how is podcasting being use to enhance people's life. We touch on the advantage of podcasting in the company, use to conduct training to it's sales executives as well as conducting meetings. Only then I do see the great potential of podcasting as well as the advantages it bring to us. However, I do have some reservation over its true potential as I felt that since the application is build and free for the people to pick up on their free will to listen to it.. information are still not diseminated if the audience choose not to listen to it just as they choose to delect or not read their e-mails.

We also discuss about the potential of podcasting to be use in the delievering lectures in the university. Hence, podcasting could be a disruptive technology in education systems.

Via podcasting, instruction can be packaged to take advantage of the small size and portability of devices like the iPod. As long as instruction is designed with clear performance objectives in mind this could be an incredible tool to put in the hands of educators.

Is podcasting a disruptive tecnology for education? It may be too soon to tell. But there seems to be real interest in this technology in education with the potential benefits of podcasting that can be offer in education:

· for distance learning
· to facilitate self-paced learning
· for remediation of slower learners
· to allow faculty to offer advanced and or highly motivated learners extra content
· for helping students with reading and/or other learning disabilities
· for multi-lingual education
· to provide the ability for educators to feature guest speakers from remote locations
· to allow guest speakers the ability to present once to many sections and classes
· to allow educators to escape the tedium of lecturing
· to offer a richer learning environment

Could these factors be the driver for the podcasting as a disruptive technology in Education arena? Its not too long before we will know the answer soon.

Anyway, I still felt podcasting do have its great use in many way that can enhance our digital life. And yes, we move on to discuss about how to go about creating our very own podcast which I am very much interested to learn more about it as one day I would like to do one of my own.. haha.

While I am searching through the internet for training aids, I came across this dope shit of information to help me in my learning process step by step.

Here is the link: http://www.engadget.com/2004/10/05/engadget-podcast-001-10-05-2004-how-to-podcasting-get/

Here is a snapshot of the equipment you will need and the explaination of the equipment usage in the podcasting process:






Lets see if I am able to get one up before the end of our course of study in April... I will Love to do so...

Other links of interests, check them out dudes: http://www.podcasting-tools.com/

Cheers!!

2 comments:

cellprof said...

I wonder how we could test whether a podcast is a good way to deliver my lectures? anybody's lectures?

BTW, the "meaning of life" is probably a circular question. I think the answer is "life is". See Wikipedia for an effort to explore this topic.

MB362Gabriel said...

I guess a good way to find out is to have a short lecture deliver thru Podcast to the class make available in Edventure with a short online MCQ assignment related to the lecture deliver. Why not?

I always ask myself the question "meaning of life" but I have never seriously gone into exploring the topic till tonight. And the one answer I like best that I just found in Wikipedia is 'to find a purpose, a "reason" for living that hopefully raises the quality of one's experience of life, or even life in general'.